Chalmers Centre for Computational Science and Engineering (C3SE) is a centre for scientific and technical computing at Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden. C3SE is one of six centers in the national metacenter Swedish National Infrastructure for Computing. We provide supercomputer resources, funded by SNIC, to Swedish researchers.
Senior researchers at Swedish universities are eligible to apply for access and computer time on any of our SNIC systems. An approved application from a researcher or a research group results in a "SNIC-Project" that in turn is assigned computer time allocations on one (or several) computer systems. The size of a computer time allocation is measured in "core-hours per month".
Getting access, short version
- Join SUPR
- Join/apply for a project here https://supr.snic.se
- Approve the user agreement here https://supr.snic.se/person/
- Send a "account request" for the cluster you wish to use here https://supr.snic.se/account/
- Wait at least 1 working day
- Why doesn't my CID work? - Everyone has to approve the user agreement and apply for an account for the specific resource through SUPR
- But SUPR doesn't list any possible account requests? - You must first join a project in SUPR
- I changed my SUPR password but I still can't log into Hebbe/Glenn? - The password for SUPR doesn't affect the accounts on any cluster.
- I still can't log in. - SSH access is only granted within the Chalmers network. See this page for more information.
- I still can't log in! - Please contact C3SE support.
- I'm student at the M-program and I can't log into hebbe. - If you have gotten a "mstud" project, you have a separate login node: hebbe-mstud.c3se.chalmers.se
- I used by use hebbe-mstud but now I have a project on hebbe, but I can't log in. - Please contact support. This is a known issue and requires a manual fix.
How do I get access?
The process of getting access to SNIC supercomputer resources can be divided into two steps:
- Project application
- User account application
Applying for and getting a project
If you are a senior researcher in Swedish academia you can apply for a SNIC-Project to get time allocations on SNIC supercomputer resources. The applicant of an approved Project is denoted Principal Investigator (PI). The PI must be employed at a Swedish university or university college (e.g., PhD student or higher) for the entire duration of the project.
As a researcher in the Gothenburg region your department or group might already have an active Project which you can join. The contact persons or Principal Investigators of these departmental Projects are listed in: Existing user groups at C3SE. If this is the case you can directly proceed to next section.
There are three different project sizes to choose from when doing an application:
- Small level request (max 5000 core-hours/month/system)
- Medium level request
- Large level request
To add or remove a user from a SUPR managed project SUPR the PI should log in to the SUPR Portal and add or remove the user from there. New users should be directed to this page.
Joining a project
To become a member of a project and get a user account you need to:
- Register yourself in SUPR https://supr.snic.se (if you have not already done so). On the front page of SUPR you will find a button Register New Person. Register your self with an email address that you often read since information about project membership, accounts etc. will be sent to that address. If you have you have forgotten your password please use the button Request Password on the login page of SUPR.
- After you have registered yourself you need to approve the SNIC User Agreement in SUPR. If you are an employee or student at Chalmers, or any other members of the SWAMID federation, you can approve the User Agreement online using your SWAMID identity. If not there is a second option where you can print and sign the User Agreement and send it together with a copy of a valid ID using standard mail. You will be notified once the signed User Agreement has been handled.
Once you have registered yourself in SUPR there are two different ways to become a member of a project:
- Log in to SUPR and press "Projects" in the left-hand sidebar. There you can use "Requesting Membership in Projects" to request membership in a project. The PI of that project will then receive an email with information about the membership request. The PI will then approve or deny the request and you will be notified by email.
- The PI of the project can add you directly to the project. You will be notified by email.
Once you have requested project membership you can request an account directly in SUPR. Start by pressing "Accounts" in the left-hand sidebar, there you will find any Existing Accounts you may have and any Possible Resource Account Requests for you at this moment. To request a new account, click on the button "Request Account on
" and follow the instructions.
Note: You do not have to be added to the project and you do not have to have your User Agreement approved before you can request an account. However you will not get an account before your project membership and User Agreement has been approved.
Note: SUPR is a national portal for Users and Projects, not directly connected to C3SE. This means that are manual steps involved at C3SE before a login account is created and memberships of the project is updated locally to reflect the changes made in SUPR. This process might take a few days! You will be notified/contacted by C3SE staff/systems when accounts have been created and/or when you have been added to a project locally at C3SE.
Getting user accounts
First step to get access to a C3SE resource, as a user, is to become a member of a project that has an allocation (amount of compute time per month) on that specific resource. Projects are managed in SUPR https://supr.snic.se.
New users must attend a "C3SE Introduction Seminar" before starting to use the system. The seminar is given regularly every semester but can also be given directly to research groups upon request.